Which is a fair enough tactic if you have a really powerful lord. Even still, it does keep all the rest of the unit's attacks off the DoE King though. Then it becomes a fun little game of can you take 4 wounds off the King before he successfully lands the HKB. Also, if the opposing lord is extremely powerful, the TK player could always accept the challenge with the unit champion or another character that may reside in the unit.
Plus the Herald can still protect him against non-character threats, who can't issue challenges.
It's not infallible, but I think it may be worth the consideration.
Hello Nightbringer first of all thank you for your post I will try to answer to your doubt. After several tests I came up with this list and the tactical reasons are explained on my previous posts. During this test process I also realized what you underlined as a "weak point and here you are my thoughts. Let's consider the overall picture
1) Beastmen ( we don 't have against them the issue you mentioned)
2) Bretonnia ( same. It's a point and click army ...)
3) Daemons of chaos (no gunline here..)
4) Ogre kingdom ( they will come in our arms as fast as they can ...)
5) Warriors of chaos ( no comments needed)
6) Vampire counts ( same)
7) Skaven ( except cannons and jezzails ...i don 't see a gunline possible)
8)Tomb kings ( here gunline means Khalida . the archers unit can in 1 turn kill our sphinx and on second take care of Hierotitan or weaken our Ushabti unit..but but ...I played this kind of list and I can tell you that I was not sold . Remember archers cannot stand and shoot ..and it's a really bad thing. Then when something will reach them it will be easy to crash them A possible solution is deploy in the unit a TK or a Prince but it would become a huuuuuge investment ( khalida TK and 60 or more archers ) and I 've never met nobody adopting this solution. 2 catapults.....ehhehehmm they are not in my list because I was disappointed by them so many times ...I cannot count. Not reliable...and so they will be for your opponent . Stalkers can be an issue but if he plays archers..khalida ..stalkers ...he will probably miss a good fighting troop or simply he will have one but not so big. Points available are not unlimited....:-) so nothing to be so scared about. My list will perform good in this mirror match . Le't s also say who plays TK don 't necessarily play a khalida list so ....
9) Dark elves ( gunline not so frequent but possible to front. no cannon here but bolt throwers...and light fire. We can suffer but he will lose time to kill sphinx with his arrows and and when we will arrive with our troops we can try to outnumber him easily. we have 2 blocks of phantery and 1 block of Ushabti +monsters and chariots.... shoot can hurt us ...but not kill all. if he stops out incantation of desert maybe we can multiply our shot and hurt ( considering elves have T 3)
10 ) high elves ( see above)
11) lizardmen ( annoying with scynks but we have chariots to harass them ...and try to multiply our charges with monster....they will flee for shooting after ) but we will also shoot with our archers ...one per turn on each unit he will put on our way. annoying but not impossible.
12) wood elves ( not always we front all archers list . Here we have also tournaments which limit the use of bows... and a part from this he will kill for sure all our monsters...chariots but not our ushabti ...he has to choose ... he cannot put down all . after he can also decide to escape from fight but we can deploy in a way it will be not easy for him to escape the fight. and if it's a gunline we will see not so many fast unit..not bad at all for us.
13 ) orcs and goblin gunline with goblin archers has a range of 18 Inches gunline with orcs with bow has range of 24 but I never saw a list full of them Warmachine can be a problem here. No doubt.
But not cannons...and it's good. rock lobbers are not precise . I play them and I see them played.... doom diver catapult are a problem ..yes spear chukka are not precise ....and 1 -2 in 6 will hit. The problem here is that if opponent is lucky ..then for sure we will lose a lot of pieces... before arriving in melee. But often...it will hurt us but not that much ( I played in the past a gunline orcs an goblin list so I have experienced it )
14) Empire cannons and steamtank are an issue for sure. not easy battle. -But now almost all are playing list with a lot of knights. - a possible strategy is anyway try our casket of souls on steam tank or cannon also.. - I don't esclude also to shoot with archers on cannons 3 wounds, no armour save, and some 6 will help us for sure... ( 120 points per each is also not bad )
- enchantment -D3 on T can be handy ...
- UShabti has S6 and they can deal with steam tank ... Hierotitan also... I don 't say it's easy but we can do it.
15 ) Dwarves. Ok here I cannot beat around the bush... We are in trouble. Full stop A possible help can be swapping Hierotitan for 3 stalkers. They will be a great answer against his WM if we cannot swap then we simply have to count on our WS 5+ spell as a defensive answer ( he will try to dispel) casket of souls enchantment ( even if they have a good D we can try on WM ) If he stop both we can at least hope to cast incantation of desert and move forward. With chariots we can try to charge also WM ( probably he will shoot our Big targets ...CoS included but maybe they can kamikaze against a cannon In melee they are also tough but a lot depends on how many TK troops they were able to kill before.
A great challenge but still not impossible IMHO
Except some cases I mentioned above my list prove to be flexible enough with "answers" against almost everything( we are still talking about Tomb kings..so answer has to be in quote) I want to mention also that chariot unit is a key. they bring pressure and they are relatively fast . they can crash gun line as kamikaze allowing us to gain time to cross the battlefield. Other important thing is how we play magic incantation of the Desert Wind I think we will have enough dices to succeed in 1 or 2 spells. One of this has to be incantation of the desert wind. If he will dispel it we can have more dices to try casket of soul enchantment or x2 on our archers or ...-D3 on T ...or simply try to protect our troop with a WS 5+ spell.
Opponent has to be aware ...thank to the casket we will have more dices..and we can put pressure and our Great Khatep will help us really a lot.